Monday, March 14, 2011

Where have I been?

I finally retired my 5 year old piece of turd flip phone this week. It even had an antenna my friends. An antenna that was crooked, might I add. The end button was not functional anymore, or barely functional making it challenging to turn off on airplane voyages and to end calls. It also was never a very pretty phone from the get-go. I remember picking it out in the store and not really liking it then. I just needed something that was cheap and didn't cost much that fit in my "new every 2" Verizon plan.

So now I have a Droid X which really is way more than I bargained for. Do I really need to be alerted every time someone Facebooks, emails, texts, Google chats, or farts in my general direction? Probably not, but nevertheless, I am. I'm sure if I was more tech savvy I could figure out how to turn some of them off but laziness + apathy win. My social butterfly husband has found out how to actually add MORE alerts to the mix. I'm still trying to figure out why you would want that, but that's just how he rolls.

Now that I have this fancy new phone, blogging has become more challenging because I no longer have much of a need to use my computer. I can browse the internet, and pretty much check anything on any social networking site I could possibly dream of via my new phone. The only problem is that if I want to type large paragraphs, that's where the smart phone errs on the dumber side. It likes to start guessing what you're typing before you've finished typing it and since you're using a touch screen it's easy to accidentally select it's "guess" instead of what you were really trying to type all along. Because poor spelling drives me crazy this is unacceptable to me and I would never want to try to type an entire blog post on this phone. Let me rephrase. I would at this point of time, not feel comfortable doing so considering my rookie skills. Maybe sometime in the future I would consider it.

Today as I opened my laptop it looked huge, like some ancient piece of technology I hadn't seen for..... days. I can tell I'm becoming one of those "phone" people. You know, the ones that are always using their phones for something. The people I always used to hate and thought were totally snobby and rude. I didn't know why they couldn't just detach themselves for two seconds from their precious phone to join the rest of the world. But now that I see how distracting these dang things are I realize why so many Americans have ADD. The first few nights we had our phones Stephen and I were just sitting next to each other on the couch playing on our phones for hours. It was just ridiculous.

Anyway, I better go... I have 20 notifications I need to attend to.

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! I upgraded from my old flip phone this past weekend but had to stick to the Verizon new every 2 deal & we were too cheap to add the internet package you have to pay for with iPhones, etc. At least now I have a keypad with letters for text messaging instead of having to hit a number key 5 times before it got to the letter I wanted. Still, I envy your ability to check Facebook from your phone! I know what you mean about the huuuuge laptop screen though. We got a netbook a while back which I use exclusively & anytime Matt opens the laptop around me, it seems ancient looking.

    Oh, & you should totally let your phone write a blog post for you. Like, start a sentence, and let your phone finish it for you. It could be entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An entertaining idea: Go to damnyouautocorrect.com. It's hilarious! And even more distracting when viewed from your droid phone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I think I'd really be in trouble if I was in your boat. :)

    ReplyDelete