Thursday, March 25, 2010

One of those days ...

Every once in a while Senorita Chub Chubs has a very "off" day. Today is one of those days. It's pretty bad timing considering we have her 4 month check up this afternoon which includes her immunizations. Big bummer.

The Chubs is very schedule oriented, and I think this all began at Children's hospital when they had me on a strict 3 hour feeding routine. The Little Muffin got used to eating every 3 hours which naturally put her in schedule mode and made it easy for us to create a consistent routine. This has been great in some ways, but hard in others. Keeping her on a schedule has made her a very happy baby that is well rested and has a very predictable internal clock... most of the time. It's nice to know when she'll be eating, napping, going to bed and waking up etc, but it is also very limiting especially since she can't stay up more than an hour and 15 minutes before she turns into a pumpkin.

There are however, days (such as this one) where the schedule is just thrown out the window and for one reason or another The Chubs is in a funk. This morning she woke early (about an hour before her ideal wake up time), but then didn't eat nearly as much as she usually does. She seemed overly distracted with her surroundings. There were many head jerks in the direction of the ceiling fan, then more side glances and head turns toward the quilt on the rocker. Add in a dozen smiles and intense thought-provoking stares and you have a recipe for a bad eater.

I put her down for her nap as usual since she was getting fussy and was clearly tired. She whined for a couple minutes (like she usually does) and then passed out (like she usually does). 15 minutes later... not even the usual 45 minute sleep transition disruption, but 15 flippin' minutes later she's wide awake again and then proceeds to fuss for 45 minutes. I let her go this long because she almost always falls back asleep again, but this time she didn't. So I went up to feed her, and it turns out her fussing was more of a social call. She smiled at me brightly as I entered the room. I picked her up (more big smiles) and then tried to feed her again thinking that because of her poor eating this morning, she would be hungry again. NOPE! She continued to smile, look around, suck half-heartedly and shoot a load in her diaper (a pretty large one, I might add).

We're about to head to the doctor in 30 minutes with a tired baby that is just too interested in the world around her to get some shut-eye or eat a decent meal.

Over-tired child + Poor Eater + Immunizations (will surely) = A very long day for mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment